The history of the Besfords

John Besford (1820-1875)

John Besford (1820-1875) was born in Stannington, Northumberland in 1820. He was run over by a train on Stannington Viaduct on 3rd August 1875.

His grave can be found at St Nicholas Church, Cramlington.

In Memory of
of Cramlington Village,
who lost his life by being
run over on Stannington
Viaduct by a passing train
August 3rd 1875
aged 55 years.
ANNIE eldest daughter of
the above died Nov 27th
1876, aged 13 years.
ROBERT son of the above
died June 21st 1880, aged 24 years.
WILLIAM son of the above
died Sept 13th 1901 aged 43 years.
Interred at Heaton.
MARTHA, widow of the above
John Besford
died Oct 17th 1911 aged 84 years
interred at Wallsend Cemetery.

Robert Stephenson’s viaduct on the East Coast Main Line at Plessey, near Stannington, was constructed in 1849-50 by the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway to cross the River Blyth, replacing a timber trestle bridge of 1847. It is Grade II-listed and has no parapet.
Location of the viaduct near Cramlington, Northumberland

External links

One of John Besford and Martha’s children was Armstrong Besford of Cramlington

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *