The history of the Besfords
Two brothers, George Besford and Thomas Besford were tried at the Old Bailey in London on 7th September 1768. They were charged with Theft with Violence: Highway Robbery.
Peter Besford, of 8 Clifford Drive, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft, was the skipper of the Suffolk Kinsman trawler.
David Besford was the son of David Besford and Mary Besford (neé Turnbull). David was born on 1st February 1897 at Middleton Street, Amble, Northumberland.
George Besford was born at Fenrother, Northumberland, and was baptised on 20th March 1831 at St. Cuthbert’s Parish Church, Hebron. He was the son of Robert Besford (1792-1844) and his wife Mary Besford (née Marshall).
John was born in 1826 at Eshott Heugh, the son of Robert and Mary Besford.
William was the first child of John Besford and Margaret Besford (née Patterson). He was born on 28th November 1851 at Cowpen, Blyth, Northumberland.
Agnes Jane Hewit was born on 20th February 1890 at 2 Middle Steads, Widdrington, Northumberland. Her parents were Alexander Hewit (24) a coal miner, and Dorothy Jane Hewit (née Ferrow) (27).
George Besford was born at 19 Church Street, Amble, Northumberland on 31st January 1893. He would go on to serve in the Northumberland Fusiliers in the First World War.
Jack Besford was presented with a grandfather clock by the Ashington Mineworkers Federation when he stood down as president in 1939.